Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Been to the library lately?

Yesterday I went to the Whitmore library here in SL to get a library card. I then went and got a book and went to the "Self Check-out" line (which was actually the only line to check books out). I have never done a self check-out for library books! It was very similar to the self check-outs at the grocery stores.

Here's how it worked. There is a computer with a touch screen. You touch it to begin and it says to put your library card down on the scanner. So you set it down on the counter in the little rectangle that is clear with the scanner underneath. It scans your card, which has a little chip in it, and then it has you enter your pin, which is the last four numbers of your phone number. Then it pulls up your account info. Then it asks you to place your book on the pad on the counter. This instantly picks up all the info for the book (the number they have on it, the author, title and all that jazz). Then you can click continue or done. Oh and you can also print out a receipt when you finish that tells you when your books are due.

This was so weird to me! I have never had to do that before, nor seen that system. I guess it cuts down on the number of people that have to check out books for you so they can be elsewhere, although there was one girl helping people out who were having trouble.

Has your library implemented this system? Coming from Provo I had never seen this. And yes, I know that Provo is really it's own world, but I didn't know there was a new way to check out library books. Just thought I would share!

4 comments:

Karen said...

The library I go to has it and I love it...it makes it quick and easy! Although the first time I used it I was scanning the wrong barcode on the book. Oh...I already have the book too! :) I just got an email from the library saying that it's on hold for me!

Niederfam said...

who knew??? so i want to know what books you checked out though???

Nicole said...

I just checked out Confessions of a Shopaholic!

emily said...

interesting! we definitely do not have that here! maybe someday. . .